Just to throw it out there for you guys, DON'T USE PROACTIVE!!! It's overfilled with a chemical called Benzyl Peroxide and literally burns your skin away. Trust me, it's not worth time, money, or wait. Stay away from it!
There are good ways to naturally prevent acne breakouts. These are some of the best ways:
1) Avoid STRESS! Stress causes acne by blocking the pores. It makes it harder for pimples to dry out and go away.
2) Avoid harsh chemicals on your face. Make sure there's no scents in it.
3) Don't pop your zits! Popping zits spreads the puss and acts like fertilizer to make it come right back.
4) Don' rub you face. The oils in your fingers can cause acne.
5) Avoid greasy foods. It might be a myth, but when I had acne and ate greasy foods I would always wash my face with water afterwards.
I had to use Tazorac. It's actually stronger than Proactive. It seriously dried out my skin and made it insanely sensitive. That was a while ago though. But, I too didn't find any success with Proactive. It's a shody product that's backed with way to much advertising money and overpaid celebrities.